Birthday Cake

from Renae


Ingredients
  • 2 C flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/2 C butter
  • 1 3/4 C sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 4 egg whites (I usually add the yolks)
  • 1 1/3 C buttermilk or sour milk (add a 1 Tbls vinegar to the milk)
Directions

1. Sift dry ingredients.
2. Beat butter. Add sugar and vanilla. Beat until mixed. Add egg whites and beat one at a time.
3. Add dry mix and milk alternately.
4. Pour in a prepared pan and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Makes 2- 8 1/2 inch cakes.

Tip: I tried many ways to prevent the finished cake from sticking to the pan. Nothing worked well. The butter and flour baked into the cake, and the wax paper pulled the cake apart. It's not ideal because of the ingredients, but baker sprays work the best.

Do you know of another way keep cakes from sticking to the pan?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Have you tried parchment paper? I think it works a little better than wax paper. Usually, tho, I just grease and flour.

Unknown said...

That's what I was going to say. I use crisco not butter to grease the pan...

Anonymous said...

I don't know which is sweeter..the cake or those precious little eyes. :)

David said...

cool cake hope you don't mind me using the resipe

Unknown said...

The cake looks delicious, and the little one.....beautiful!
~Lauri M

Copyright © Pickles and Pomegranates - Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes