Favorite Cookbooks

by Renae

I've gone through every cupboard and closet pulling out as much stuff as I can. Prying things out of my fingers and my mind. Letting things go so there is less to pack. Today I stalled at the kitchen cupboard. My cookbooks take up half a shelf. Many of them are old friends.

They've taught me how to cook. They've introduced me to spices and healthy, homemade food. The following are a few of the well-worn, food splattered cookbooks being carted to Idaho:

Kitchen Wisdom by Pamela Cross- One of my first cookbooks. It is now out of print, but perhaps you can find it in a used bookstore. The recipes are delicious although few. They are scattered amongst helpful information like how to set up a pantry, essential kitchen tools, and introductions to various spices. An inspiring introduction to cooking.

More-with-Less Cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre- A Mennonite cookbook focusing on healthy meals with low cost, low fat, and low sugar. Real food. My first introduction to recipes based on something besides meat.



A Taste of Country- A wedding gift I still use. Contains a variety of recipes, and my family likes every dish I've cooked.

Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book- Inherited from my grandmother last year. A wonderful resource with delicious recipes for everything. Lots of basics and picture tutorials.



What are your favorite cookbooks? Please leave a comment to let me know!

4 comments:

Contessa Kris said...

Well, I can't live without The Better Homes & Garden Cookbook and now that dd is starting to bake, we use it a lot. I love another one I got from a school fundraiser in Cali. Orange Coast Christian School Cookbook 1976-1977. I like to make bread in my maker and have a fav for that too: More Bread Machine Bounty (BH&G). Dd turned 10 in August and bought her two excellent books she uses much: Williams-Sonoma Kids Baking. and Cooking for Kids Bible. Great books. I don't cook too much and usually just wing it when I do. I need to go check out your favs at the library.

Julie Lynn said...

The More With Less cookbook is one of my all-time favorites! Mine disappeared in a move some years ago, but I still remember the wisdom packed in those pages. Every time we have company I think about providing good, nourishing food without feeling like I need to get too fancy for my own good.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane. Hmm...wonder if there's an electronic version of MWL?

Kathy said...

A Missionary Aviation Pilot's wife gave me the More With Less Cookbook years ago, and I think it's a must-have regardless of what my favorite is. MY favorite cookbook is the 2006 Edition Betty Crocker Cookbook. I happen to have purchased the paperback version....a bit smaller to fit in there with all of my other favorites! : )

Unknown said...

I have that book. More with Less. I love it. I've used it so much over my married years that I am on my third copy. And I love Cincinnati Chili too.

Copyright © Pickles and Pomegranates - Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes